Earlier this week, the House Appropriations Committee’s transportation subcommittee released and approved the text of their funding bill for fiscal 2019. The bill includes full funding for CMV-related grants, at the FAST Act levels.
- MCSAP Formula – $304.3 million
- High Priority – $44 million
- CDL – $32.5 million
- CMV Operators – $1 million
In addition, the bill has a number of policy riders included.
- Section 127 amends the existing weight exemption for natural gas vehicles, expanding the exemption to include electric vehicles and incorporating CVSA’s request that the exemption be a flat 2000 pounds, restricted to the power unit.
- Section 131 extends the current exemption from the electronic logging device (ELD) requirement for motor carriers transporting livestock or insects through Sept. 30, 2019.
- Section 132 prevents FMCSA from implementing the agency’s 2015 final rule regarding the lease and interchange of vehicles for passenger motor carriers.
- Section 133 includes language preempting the states from requiring additional meal and rest break provisions that would affect the trucking industry.
- Section 134 includes language creating a truck length waiver for transporters of sugar beets in certain portions of Oregon.